Anna Waters Head Start
Anna Waters Head Start is a comprehensive child development program that provides service to the entire family. The program is sponsored by Decatur-Macon County Opportunities Corporation and is in its 55th year of service to children and their families in the Decatur-Macon County area. Head Start is a federally funded program through the Department of Health and Human Services.
There are several components of the program, which include: Education, Disability/Mental Health, Transportation, Health/Nutrition, Social Services, Parent Engagement, Family Resources, and Family-Indicated Programs.
Head Start classrooms are located at the Effie Oliver Child and Family Center and the New Horizon Family and Child Development Center. Anna Waters Head Start enrolls children who will be 3 or 4 years of age on or before September 1st of the enrollment year.
Head Start Provides:
- Developmental Screenings
- Child-centered activities
- Family improvement activities
- Services for children with disabilities and other special needs
- Transportation in Head Start boundaries
- Nutritious meals and snacks daily
- Parent educational workshops
- Volunteer activities
- Foster Grandparents Program
- Comprehensive Literacy Program
- Family Literacy Nights